kegn

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

review

Henry Poole is Here



..and buying some booze.


I have to admit, the reason I rented this flick was because I thought Luke Wilson looked cute on the cover. Ah Luke. My favorite role of his is his X-file role where he played two versions of a small county sheriff. Scully's dream man version, and Mulder's buck toothed country hick version: "Y'all the govermen' people?" Classic. He needs to get more goofy roles like that. He's usually cast as the nice guy/straight man.

Anyway...is this movie recommended, excluding the eye candy factor? Yes, it's worth checking out. However, it isn't a clever indie film but it was pleasant enough. And there's a good dose of Frank Capra feel-good cornball.
But the strong cast,headed by Wilson, do a great job of handling that corn.

Wilson plays the title character, a man who's got a limited time on earth due to an unexplained illness. He buys a house in his hometown that's somewhere in the San Fernando Valley to wait out his days and drown himself in booze.
[I knew it was the Valley without being told, yay me]
His plans for solitude are disrupted when his deeply religious neighbor spots a stain on the outside of his wall that resembles an image of Christ. Soon Henry is bombarded by neighborhood worshippers in his backyard.

I think Wilson did a fine job in this role. His low key sullen and sarcastic style works. I kept thinking that other actors would lap this role up and overact Henry's angst. Everyone around him is spouting about hope and miracles and Wilson's quietly simmering with anger and pain.

The biggest flaw is the cliche story. You can see what's coming and there's a certain plot point that was from another movie and I can't remember what it was. Again, very Capra-ish. It's gonna bug me now.
Also Radha Mitchell is in this. She was Kiefer Sutherland's wife in the awesome cult fave of mine, "Dead Heat."
Another little flaw, was the use of music soundtracks. There was a lot and it felt like 1/3 of the movie is a music video.

But my favorite parts were of miserable Henry dealing with the perky and sweet shopgirl when he went to buy his liquor. [pic above]. That actress was great.
So again, I say it's worth renting to see some fine dramatic work from actor who's been stuck in light comedies for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home